Surya Mudra or Prithvi Shaamak Mudra
Surya Mudra or Prithvi Shaamak Mudra:
Popularly known as Surya mudra, this mudra increases the Agni (fire) element within the body. It can, therefore, be called Agni-vardhak mudra, too. At the same time, this mudra decreases the Prithvi (earth) element within the body.
Surya mudra helps in cutting the fat and lowering bad cholesterol (Low Density Lipoproteins). Combine practice of Surya mudra in your fat loss program regime and you can expect remarkable results. Surya mudra is beneficial for eyes. It is excellent for people with high Kapha constituition (heavy, slow, laid back attitude, excess mucous).
Method of performing Surya Mudra:
- This mudra is formed by first placing the tip of the ring finger on the base of the thumb and then bringing gentle pressure of the thumb upon this finger.
- This amounts to suppression of element earth (residing in the ring finger) by element fire (residing in the thumb). The earth element thus suppressed, fire is able to rage unopposed.
- 45 minutes every day, either at one stretch or in 3 parts(i.e, for 15 minutes, thrice a day).
Over performance of this mudra may cause undue heating of the body.
People with Pitta Constitution (strong metabolism, hot temper, ulcers, oily skin, acne) should never practice Surya mudra.
Benefits of Surya Mudra:
- Abnormally low body-temperature
- Coldness of skin, body, limbs, hands, feet, etc.
- Intolerance to cold, shivering
- Underactivity of the thyroid gland causing slow metabolism
- Obesity, progressive weight-gain
- Loss of appetite, indigestion, constipation
- Absence of sweating.
- Certain vision/eye problems, especially cataract.
Precaution: If you are not sure how to perform this mudra, kindly contact any physician or yoga tutor.